4 weeks, 4 topics, but they have one thing in common: they all belong to the Grinsect range of breeding technology equipment. You can learn about our own-developed tools in detail in the series of articles that will contain completely new pieces of information, tips & tricks and videos with installation instructions. Have you been interested in BSF rearing? We will help you make up your mind!
Why fly-love locked in a cage is so important?
Because the Lovecage is an essential tool and one of the most important phases for rearing. It accommodates several crucial steps and processes of breeding, since the flies do their mating dance, and mate here assisted by an additional tool – the Fly Hive – which supports the process of controlled egg-laying.
Following the metamorphosis, the newly emerged flies, leaving the pupae stage behind, would fly out from the Darkcage to the attached Lovecage lured by the light, and the special light will ensure that one of the most relevant stages of rearing, mating will happen in the Lovecage.
Several versions of the Lovecage exist and you can find dozens of different tutorials on the internet on how to build your own Lovecage and where to acquire the necessary equipment. Some believe that wood is the best material and some use nets a lot bigger than what we offer. We can save you time and the burden of DIY solutions. We guarantee that our cages perfectly do their job and they have been developed in order to meet the requirements of the black soldier fly and to optimize successful breeding which cannot be guaranteed by a homemade tool. Making, planning and developing a Lovecage is easier said than done since success lies in the details.
Why should you go for the Grinsect Lovecage?
- It is reliable thanks to the thorough product development
- It is made of high-quality materials, which guarantees a longer lifespan if used as intended
- No Velcro has been used to boost the lifespan of the netting material.
- The light transmission of the Lovecage net is adequate, the effectiveness of lighting is not compromised
- User friendly: it is easy to assemble, it is practical and easy to clean.
Step-by-step assembly guide:
- 8 pcs. plastic elbow
- 8 pcs. 650 mm plastic tube (for size L: 950 mm)
- 4 pcs. 1150 mm plastic tube (for size L: 1450 mm)
- 1 pc. netting
First, the plastic tube frame of the Lovecage needs to be assembled properly, followed by the carefully installed netting. An assembly guide is provided for your reference, but you can also check out the following video for help:
How the Lovecage can be inserted into the BSF breeding process?
There are two, so-called manipulation openings on the Lovecage: a cylindrical opening and a zipped opening.
- The cylindrical opening, if attached properly to the Darkcage, it will guide the flies from the dark to the luring light of the Lovecage and if you have done a good job assembling, no flies will escape.
- - When you are happy with the number of flies moved to the Lovecage or the Darkcage has become empty, you can detach the tools and tie a knot on the cylindrical opening to prevent the flies from escaping.
Important note! When entering the net (for removing the egg trap or watering), make sure that the net is only slightly open to stop the flies from flying out.
How to clean the Lovecage?
It is vital that the netting should be kept clean, otherwise the number of mislaid eggs will grow and the eggs cannot be properly removed which could lead to the larvae getting in the net.
- The netting must be washed after every single use – it is important that the flies should not smell their own scent, for that reason, always use a clean mesh!
- The material is to be washed at 30 °C. Recommended detergent: 3 caps of bleach and 1 cap of washing liquid at gentle cycle.
- Always close zippers before washing to help prevent wear and tear of the material.
- In addition to cleaning the netting, it is also recommended to clean the plastic tubes with a wet cloth on a monthly basis
Follow the rules of washing and cleaning and with proper care, you will be able to use the Lovecage for years.